Many New Hampshire residents look forward to fishing on our state’s various lakes, ponds, and rivers, especially when the warm weather arrives, and one of the best ways to enjoy boating and fishing is to share the fun with others – especially your kids or grand kids. Although expert anglers typically know the ropes of both boating and fishing in New Hampshire, there are still many mishaps that can occur if the excursion is not well-planned, especially when you have little ones along for the ride. The next time you’re gearing up with your loved ones to go after the “big one,” make sure that it’s as enjoyable as you anticipate by keeping the following five fishing safety tips provided by Safeco Insurance in mind:
1. Only fish if weather permits. Check the weather forecast in detail before you head out onto the water. Here in New Hampshire, the weather can change quickly and drastically, ushering in unexpected storms that could scare your children and put you all in harm’s way.
2. Dress yourself – and your little ones – for the adventure. Although it may seem obvious, it can get slippery out on the boat or the dock! Ensure stable footing for all by making sure you and your kids are wearing shoes that will grip boat floors and slick rocks and docks.
3. Make safety a game. It’s important to be equipped with everything you need for safety and protection – from flashlights and sunscreen to plenty of water and life preservers – but you can also make it fun for the kids. For example, make them the keepers of the radio or the people who make sure everyone is wearing a hat or sunglasses for protection from the sun.
4. Be hyper-vigilant about dangerous items. The sport of fishing is accompanied by some sharp items – hooks and knives to name just two. Ensure that you have these items in a locked tackle box to make sure no one accidentally gets hurt.
5. Follow boating rules. Make sure your boat is in good standing by adhering to all the laws of the lough. To find these, research the body of water you plan to fish on before you head out.
At Knapton, Reade & Woods, we hope all of your family fishing outings become lifetime memories! For additional safety tips and other useful resources, please read our blog, or visit us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+.
At Knapton, Reade & Woods Insurance Agency in Hillsborough, NH, we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call 800-779-4084 or click here to contact us online. Rely on us to make sure what’s important to you is protected!