Make home safety a priority while you’re away for the holidays
The holidays can be a great time to get out of town to visit family you rarely get to see, hit the slopes or flee to the beach. However, regardless of how you spend your time away, it’s crucial to ensure that your house stays safe while you’re gone.
A house left empty often appeals to burglars, so before you pack your bags, prepare to protect the stuff that’s staying at home. At Knapton, Reade & Woods Insurance Agency, we want to make it a little easier for you to get away with peace of mind and return to everything you left behind, so here are some pointers for prepping your home before you travel:
- Lock it up. Check and double-check to make sure you have locked all the doors and windows.
- Check under the mat. If you store an extra key outside your house, remove it. Instead, give the key to a trusted friend or neighbor in case someone needs to enter in the event of an emergency.
- Communicate. Inform a friend or neighbor that you will be away. Ask them to keep an eye on the house, and give them a way to reach you to report any suspicious activity. Never announce your absence on social media!
- Fore-go deliveries. Make sure to stop delivery of packages, mail, newspapers, and anything else that could pile up on your porch, serving as an indication to burglars that no one is home. Ask your trusted friend or neighbor to pick these items up every other day.
- Remove temptations. Do not leave wrapped gifts or expensive electronics visible through windows and doors.
From all of us at Knapton, Reade & Woods, we wish you, your family (and your home and belongings) a safe and joyous holiday!